• Member Login / Register

Overseas Employment: A Guide to Finding and Securing OT Jobs Abroad

The prerequisites to apply for an occupational therapy post overseas can vary depending on the country and employer. However, some common requirements include:



    EducationMost countries require occupational therapists to have a Bachelor of Occupational Therapy degree and/or Master of Occupational Therapy degree from an AIOTA and WFOT accredited college for overseas employment.



    Registration: To secure overseas employment, it is mandatory to register and take life membership with the All India Occupational Therapists' Association (AIOTA).



    Work experience: Having relevant work experience in the field of occupational therapy, especially in the areas that you are interested in may be required.



    Language proficiency: Demonstrating proficiency in the local language, both in written and spoken form, may be a requirement in some countries. The specific language proficiency test required may vary based on the location. Examples of language proficiency tests include the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the Pearson Test of English (PTE).




    AIOTA License verification/Good standing


    • ► Complete the AIOTA License Verification or Good standing Request Form: This form is available on the AIOTA website.
    •  Pay the fee: The fee amount is 12000 rupees + Service Charges, the payment can be made through net banking using your credit card/debit card/ UPI.
    •  Submit the form and payment.
    •  Wait for verification: AIOTA will process your request and send the license verification directly to the specified recipient. The processing time can take up to 14 days (about 2 weeks).
    •  License verification and good standing certificate are only valid for period of 6 months.
    •  For further information visit the AIOTA website.


    NOTE: AIOTA requires that its members have completed a minimum of 6 months of membership before they can apply for license verification and good standing.




    Licensure: Licensure to practice occupational therapy abroad can vary depending on the country you wish to practice in, you will need to meet the licensing requirements of the country’s regulatory board. In general, you may need to provide information about your education, training, and work experience, as well as any certifications or licenses you hold in other countries. Here are a few regulatory boards of some of the countries;


    •   National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) - USA
    1.   The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) - UK
    2.   The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) - Australia
    3.   The Dubai Health Authority (DHA) - Dubai
    4.   Abu Dhabi Department of Health (DOH) - Abu Dhabi

    Work visa: You would also require proof of your right to work in the country, such as a work permit, visa, or citizenship status.



    Fitness to Practice: Medical clearance is needed to practice abroad as an occupational therapist, to ensure that the individual is physically and mentally fit to practice in a different environment.

    It is important to research and understand the specific requirements for the country and employer you are interested in working for to ensure that you meet all of the prerequisites. This may include reaching out to professional organizations, government agencies, or the employer for more information.